This newsletter provides approved key messages from Manatū Hauora – Ministry of Health and Te Whatu Ora – Health New Zealand on COVID-19.
In today’s issue:
- Current COVID-19 case data
- Weekly COVID-19 Trends and Insight report
- COVID-19 Disability Helpline update
- Post Vaccine Symptom Check update
- Ministry for Pacific Peoples COVID summer video – 10 languages
Current COVID-19 case data
In the week to 15 January 2023 there were:
- 19,215 new COVID-19 cases reported, an average of 2,738 a day.
- Of these cases reported, 7795 were reinfections, and of those 351 were reinfection within 90 days of a previous infection.
- 333 COVID-19 cases were in hospital, with 8 cases in ICU.
- 44 people had died, 26 with COVID-19 as underlying, and 18 with COVID-19 as contributory.
Weekly COVID-19 Trends and Insights report
The weekly Trends and Insights Report is now an interactive dashboard including graphs and data on rates over time of COVID-19 cases, hospital admissions for COVID-19, and deaths attributed to COVID-19. These rates can be broken down by age group, sex, ethnicity, district, region, or deprivation.
A summary report is published each Wednesday and covers key points from the previous week.
COVID-19 Disability Helpline update
This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for free on 0800 11 12 13 or text 8988 for help or information about vaccines, testing, face mask exemptions, and managing COVID-19 at home. It can also be accessed using the NZ Relay Service www.nzrelay.co.nz.
The Helpline team can also assist with any general health concerns or if someone needs urgent help and their support worker or carer is unavailable.
A person with experience or knowledge of disability will answer from 8am to 8pm. After 8pm, calls are answered by a trained member of the Healthline team.
Healthline is also available 24×7 or free on 0800 611 116 and interpreters are available which may be useful for people who are away from their regular support while on holiday, travelling or staying in another area this summer.
COVID-19 Post Vaccine Symptom Check update
Updated results from the COVID-19 Post Vaccine Symptom Check up to 31 October 2022 are now available on the Medsafe website. The results include people who received a second booster.
- Reporting of symptoms following a second booster was 25%, lower than any other dose to date.
- So far, 319,136 people have taken part in the optional survey.
- Based on the survey results, no new safety concerns have been identified for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
Ministry for Pacific Peoples COVID summer videos
Three videos have been created to promote COVID health this summer to Pacific audiences. They are available to download and use freely via the link below.
Latest updates, media releases and news
International traveller testing reminder | Beehive.govt.nz
Unite against COVID-19 website
Visit covid19.govt.nz for further guidance on COVID-19. There is also a range of resources tailored for different groups, such as translations and alternate formats.
COVID-19 Āwhina app
Āwhina is the best way to stay up to date with the latest information for the health and disability sector. You’ll get the regular notifications to your phone.
Sourced from Ministry of Health New Zealand