It’s definitely a struggle during lockdown and staying motivated to complete tasks if working from home is difficult but hopefully you can try a few of these tips to increase motivation and productivity during your day.
- Make a daily routine – whether you are by yourself or have a family to look after try to set out a routine including meal times, some time outside and time doing something you enjoy e.g. reading, art, singing.
- Set yourself a daily goal to work towards. This will keep you motivated and give yourself a purpose or aim.
- Keep a sleep routine – aim to go to bed and wake up at similar times everyday. Our body requires adequate sleep, at least 7-9 hours/day, to function and reset itself for the next day. Sleep is also important to keep our hunger and fullness hormones in correct working order. Cue increased hunger and cravings for sweets when we are sleep deprived.
- Spend time outside. Whether that be exercising, or just sitting outside for a coffee. We should be aiming for at least 20 minutes of sunlight a day. This sunlight helps our body produce vitamin D which is important for immune and bone function and also helps with our melatonin levels and circadian rhythm to help us sleep.
- Aim to move daily. Whether that be walking, bodyweight workout, yoga, dancing, an obstacle course with the kids; daily movement is important for our cardiovascular health, blood sugar management, mental health and will help us to sleep better.
- Make time to contact friends and family via phone call or facetime. Social connection is super important for us as a species and especially now in these isolating times we want to keep in contact with people as much as we can and check in on those that are by themselves during this lockdown.
- If working from home try to keep your space tidy, give yourself regular breaks, preferably outside and don’t beat yourself up if you aren’t as productive as “normal”. This is a trying time just do your best, set yourself some daily tasks and most importantly be kind to yourself.